Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Most Recent "Mountain-top Experience"

In addition to being Pentecost, Sunday was also "The Global Day of Prayer". Originating from a church in South Africa, people from every country of the world on this day every year pray for the people of the world http://www.globaldayofprayer.com/strategy.php. So I found myself on the top of a mountain on Sunday with three other American missionaries, the church president, and an unbaptized believer who has only recently been attending church. As we climbed the mountain, it seemed to be that the higher we ascended, the less of the valley below we could see. Once on top, we were enshrouded in a cloud and could see almost nothing of the view below. We began to pray together the "Prayer for the World" from the prayer guide, and as we did, the clouds seemed to evaporate around us and lift themselves up off the other mountain range off in the distance. By the time we had finished reading the prayer, we could see beyond the distant mountain range, all the way to the Sea of Japan. The silhouette of Sado Island was also visible, and everything was cast in a pale orange light. Cindy and I were pulling out so many good metaphors for faith from the experience!

After that, we broke off and began to pray individually and read passages of scripture. I wandered off to a higher area away from the view-point, to a view of the other side of the mountain. As I was praying, I saw a Japanese man sitting under a shelter at the top of the mountain (as it was a rainy day) and I decided to pray for him too. A little later I ran into him again at a different overlook. He asked me if we were reading poems. I said no, that we were praying and reading from our Bibles. He told me that he prayed too, but that he wasn't religious. I told him I'd heard similar sentiments uttered by other Japanese people. I then asked him if he thought prayer worked. This launched us into a very interesting conversation about God and prayer, human weakness and limitation, and our need for God.

He then told me that he worked with people who were Christian. I was surprised to hear this as less than 1% of the population here is Christian. I asked him if they were Japanese. He said yes, and that he knew they often talked to each other about their faith, and that they would admit to being christian, but that they never talked to him about their faith. I didn't know how to reply to him. Here is this young man whose open to and interested in hearing about Christianity, and the Christians who are in his life won't talk to him about Jesus. I felt like my heart dropped to my feet. This is by no means an uncommon attitude and belief held by many- if not the majority- of the church here. This same stronghold dates back to the time of the first missionary to land on the shores of Japan, Francis Xavier, a Jesuit priest in the mid 16th century. There is even a book written about that time called, "Silence" by Shusako Endo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silence_(novel)

It just compels you all the more to pray for both the church here to wake up and be the light of the world, the city on the hill, and the salt of the earth that Christ has redeemed them and enabled them to be. It also causes me to pray Matthew 9:37-38 Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."

No comments: